Great Wall Hiking
3-day Great Wall Hiking:from Shanhaiguan to Chengziyu
Tour Code: GW03-02
Hiking Distance: about 20 km
Hiking Time: 11 hrs
Good time to visit: from Mar to Jun, from Sep to Nov
Departure date: On request 2016
Day 1. Beijing - Old Dragon’s Head – Shanhaiguan Great Wall (BLD)
Take train from Beijing to Qinhuangdao. After lunch, we will visit the Old Dragon's Head fortifications, where the Wall meets the sea, and which is considered the easternmost point of the Great Wall. After our visit, we will hike from Old Dragon's Head directly to Shanhaiguan Pass (also known as the First Pass Under Heaven). This pleasant hike of 1- 1½ hours will take us through some small villages until we see the Gate Towers of the Shanhaiguan Pass Fortress, far away. A short drive will take us to the Fortress itself. After a one-hour's visit of the Fortress and the Great Wall Museum inside, we will be transferred to the First Pass Hotel (a simple but clean courtyard hotel with private washroom and hot showers) for our first overnight stay near the Wall.
Day 2 Jiaoshan- Sandaoguan Great Wall (BLD; 12 km, 6-7 hrs)
Refreshed after a good sleep, a short drive will take us to Jiaoshan Mountain . We will hike from the bottom of Jiaoshan Mountain upwards, directly to the Wall, where, on a clear day, we will be able to enjoy a beautiful bird’s-eye view of Shanhaiguan city in the early morning sunlight, far below. We will then strike off for the next 3-4 hours, travelling in a north-easterly direction, hiking partly on the wall and partly on a wild mountain trail, until we come to our destination - a beautiful valley overlooked by Mt. Longevity. This peaceful valley is characterized by huge stones, a quiet forest, and crystal-clear creeks. In the shadow of Mt. Longevity sits the little village of Sandaoguan (“Three-layer-wall Pass”) with about 35 families living in it. We will walk down to the village, where we will enjoy a short rest and meet our vehicle. Then we will drive about one-and-a-half hours to a village named Dongjiakou, where we will have the unique experience of staying in a local family’s guest-house, very simple but clean (furnished with “kang” beds, common in northern China). Although washrooms are outside, they still have hot water for showers.
Day 3 Dongjiakou - Great Wall village (BLD; 10 km, 5-6 hrs)
This is a special day! In the early morning, we will take a short hike up the mountain from Dongjiakou village to see the Cihou Tower, a special structure that is only seen at this portion of the Great Wall. Although this Dongjiakou section is relatively short, with a length of only 8.9 km, it has remained one of the best-preserved sections of the original Ming Dynasty Wall, built more than 600 years ago. Then we will return to the Donjiakou village to visit the ruins of the fortress and to chat with the villagers, who are the descendants of the builders and guards of the Great Wall, and who have proudly maintained this section of the Wall themselves, generation after generation, without government funding. In the late morning, we will start our 3-hour hike westward along the Wall, stopping to have a simple lunch along the way. At the end of our hike, we will drive to the railway station at Qinhuangdao and take the train back to Beijing.
Tour Cost: Currency Converter
| ||1 person||2-3 person||4-5 person||6-9 person||single supplement|
|Line A||Econ. hotel||CNY6880/P|
|Line B||Econ. hotel|| || || || ||On request|
(The cost for the child of 2-12 year old is based on 15 % discount of the adult's tour cost.Any baby less than 2 year old is free of any charges. If it turns out there is cost involved, we reserved to collect the cost.)
- Please reserve at least TWO days before the departure time.
- We are ready to extend your tour in Beijing if you want. Please click Tours in Beijing for reference or contact our expert!
- As the exchange rate of CNY to USD is floating, we reserve the right to adjust the quote in USD according to the exchange rate on the date you pay the tour.
The tour cost includes:
- Local transportation - private vehicle with experienced driver will accompany us for the whole tour. While we are trekking, our vehicle will transfer our luggage to the appointed site or hostel and wait.
- Equipment: 2-way radios, first aid kit, tents and mats for sleeping bags as required.
- Leadership: Experienced English-speaking tour leader.
- Entrance fees: All first-entrance tickets to tourist spots mentioned in the itinerary.
- Accommodation: twin and tri-share clean hostels in the small counties or villages, or private home if mentioned in the itinerary
- Meals: All meals as indicated in the itinerary, with some simple picnic lunches while trekking on the Wall.
- Travel agency liability insurance.
The tour cost does not include:
- Personal gear required: e.g. hiking boots or other good footwear, raincoat, cap, camera, sun-cream, sun-glasses, pocket knife, day-pack, etc
- Expenses of a personal nature: favorite snacks, energy complement, soft drinks, laundry, local or long-distance calls, etc.
- Tips to tour guide and driver.
- Tourist accident insurance. NB -you are strongly suggested to possess health and accident insurance before you start on the trek.
- Single supplement costs (for those who want accommodation on a single basis)
- Visa to China, if required
- Supplementary trips, entrance fees, and services not mentioned, and any extra costs due to unforeseen circumstances
What makes our hikes different from the others ?
- Our tours are private – no delays picking up other tourists from various hotels around the city. We pick up, then go!
- Your English-speaking guide stays with you the entire trip (including the hiking).
- Our guides carry 2-way radios (and a cell phone) in case of emergencies.
- We use safe, reliable, government-licensed vehicles (e.g. mini-vans), not a dubiously-maintained family car or taxi.
- We use professional drivers, not a “friend” making some extra money.
- We save time by taking the direct routes, even if there are charges (rather than navigating back roads trying to avoid tolls).
- With us, there are NO “forced shopping” stops !
- There are NO hidden costs ! (e.g. fuel surcharge)
- We are proud of our Wall. We want YOU to become an ambassador of Great Wall hiking too!
- We not only want our customers to return – we want them to tell their friends!
Really enjoy the trip!
Really good English guide.
Hiking was quite tough though.