Ancient Silk Road Exploration Tour :
Lanzhou, Jiayuguan, Dunhuang, Turpan, Korla,Kucha, Khotan,Kashigar, Urumqi
Tour Code: ST-W-010
Destination: Xi'an, Lanzhou, Wuwei, Zhangye, Jiayuguan, Dunhuang, Turpan, South of Xinjiang, Kashgar, Urumqi
Good time to visit: from May to Jun, from Sep to Oct
Departure date: on request 2016
The perfect introduction to this ancient trade route takes us through all the major oases of China's great western expanse. Our first stop is Xian. Then fly to Gansu, visit Bingling Temple. Then driving westwards into a desert-like dry area where is called Hexi Corridor. Along the Hexi Corridor towards the ancient city of Jiayuguan . At the incredible cave site of Dunhuang we stop for a full two days so that we not only have enough time to fully explore the Buddhist caves which are generally held to be one of China's greatest cultural attractions, but we can also spend some time exploring the surrounding desert by camel. Further west to Xijiang provenience. Through the enchanting oasis of Turpan, across the desert by highway and stop at some oasis towns along the south Silk Road to Kashigar where the largest bazaar in Central Asia is held every Sunday. Another highlight of the tour is the visit to the Lake Karakuri at the base of Mt.Muztagh(7,545 m/24,754 ft), also called the Father of Ice. End your tour in Urumqi. This is a rare chance that allow you to explore the real ancient Silk Road culture in a different way and experience what other common traveler couldn’t.
DAY-BY-DAY DETAILED ITINERARY:
Day 1 Arrival Xian (BL, by air)
Visit the magnificent Qin Terra-cotta Army. It were built in about 2500 years ago and contains more than 6000 warriors, soldiers and horses. It was listed by UNESCO in 1987 as one of the world cultural heritages. In the afternoon, drive back to Xian city, visit Forest of Stone Steles Museum. Stay in 4-star hotel.
Day 2 Xi'an/Lanzhou(by air,BL)
In the morning, visit Shanxi History Museum, the Old City Wall. The Shanxi History Museum's permanent exhibition primarily displays Shaanxi's ancient history. Representative pieces from all periods have been selected to show the development of civilization in this region. This afternoon you will visit Gao's Grand Courtyard , the Great Mosque and the old street. take evening flight from Xian to Lanzhou, meet and greet at the airport of Lanzhou, transfer from the airport to the 4-star Hotel;
Day 3 Lanzhou(BL)
We will visit the museum and the local market. This afternoon visit Bingling Temple. Drive back to hotel. Stay in the same.
Day 4 Lanzhou/Wuwei//Zhangye (BL, 460km driving)
Cross the great Yellow River and head up the Hexi Corridor towards the ancient city of Wuwei. Visit Lai Tai Han Tomb which has become a main tourist attraction in Wuwei city. Futhur on to Zhangye, visiting Giant Buddha Temple in Zhangye where the biggest indoor sleeping buddha in China is preserved, stay in 4-star Huachen International Hotel or similar
Day5. Zhangye/Jiayuguan Pass(BL, 250km driving)
Snow capped Qilian Mountain ranges wind its way westward and accompany you all the way(about 250km),you may visit “The Strategic Pass Under Heaven”-the most west point of the present Great Wall and Wei & Jin Ancient Tomb, stay in 4-star Huayuan Hotel.
Day6. Jiayuguan Pass/Dunhuang(BL, 385km driving)
Driving on the northwest plateau and spacious Gobi Desert(about 385km),you may see strange phenomenon and mirage in Gobi Desert if you are lucky enough. Another must for you is riding camel to visit Whistling Sand Mountain and Crescent Moon Spring if the time is available. Stay in 4-star Silk-Road Dunhuang Hotel or similar.
Note: leave Jiayuguan early to be sure you have time do camel-riding.
Day7 Dunhuang (BL)
Have a good rest this morning. Drive towards the northwest of the city for the Yumen Pass and Yadan National Geologic Park. stay in the same.
Day8. Dunhuang/Turpan(By train, BL)
Have a good rest this morning. Then visit the world famous Mogao Grottoes which is called“the World Famous Treasure House of Arts”. After dinner, taking evening soft sleeper train from Dunhuang to Turpan, Overnight on the train;
Day 9. Turpan (BL)
The night train brings you to the world lowest place Turpan. From here, you will start your exploration along the ruins of traditional Silk Road in south of Xijiang area. It will be an amazing adventure & culture tour.
The Turpan guide picks you up at the Railway station. Transfer to Turpan. Today's itinerary includes Gaochang ancient city Astana Ancient Tomb, Bezeklik Buda (another set of Buddhist cave temples carved out of a cliff face), and watch the Flaming Mountains afar, visit Tuyugou Valley instead of Grape Valley,. Enjoy Uygur folk dance performance in the evening. Stay in 3 star Silk Road Turpan Oasis Hotel or similar.
Day 10: Turpan (BL),
In the morning, we will drive to the west part of Turpan for the Keriz Well, Jiaohe relics. Suliman’s Minaret. Stay at in the same.
Day 11 Turpan /Korla( BLD）
Drive to Korla. Visit the Tiemen Pass this afternoon. Overnight: Loulan hotel
Day 12: Korla/Kucha （BLD）
Drive to Kucha ancient Buddha flourished town. Visit to the Subashi Ruins. Overnight Kuqa International Hotel.
Day 13: Kucha sightseeing (BLD)
Start the day by visiting the Kizil Thousand-Buddha Caves. On our way to Kizil caves, you will view the rocks in the Red mountain in Kizilya Valley which appear different shape of the wings. Back to Kucha. Visit Kucha Museum, Kucha Grand mosque with Kucha old town areas. Transfer to the hotel. Overnight at Kucha International Hotel.
Day 14: Kucha/Minfeng （BLD）
Today we will cross Taklamakan desert Highway which constructed by Petroleum base in 1995 total distance 600 Kilomters. Arrive at Minfeng. Overnight at Niya Hotel.
Day 15: Minfeng/Khotan ( BLD)
Morning drive to Khotan along the southern Silk Road. Hand craft production incomes for local people .Mainly silks (Ikat silk) Atlas ,and carpets, Jade carving. There is local silks factory, carpet factory, Jade factory,etc. khotan You could visit one or twi of them & local market. Overnight at Khotan Mustagh Hote
Day 16: Khotan–Camping site (BLD)
Visit khotan Museum and Malikawat. This afternoon, drive to visit the The Ruins of Rawak Temple. You will have about 1 hours camel riding to the Rawark, enjoy the sunset, cook dinner and camping there.
Day 17: Camping site- Shache—Kashgar(BL)
Enjoy the sunrise, camel riding out of Desert. Then drive to Shache, visit yarkand king cemetery , conitune further Kashgar. Stay in 3-star Siman Hotel or the similar.
Day 18 June. 13th Kashigar (Good rest day, BL)
Suggest you a good rest after the long driving tour. This afternoon, you will visit Apakkhoja Tomb & Great Mosque and local market. Stay in the same.
Day19 SUNDAY Kashgar sight seeing /Tashkurgan (BL)
Visit the Sunday Baxaar, which is the biggest one in Xinjiang, On Sunday, the city comes to life as thousands of Uygur farmers and tradesmen from the surrounding countryside converge on Kashgar’s famous Sunday market—a fabulous and colorfully chaotic scene as eager traders hawk their wares and piles of foodstuffs and goods fill the streets. This afternoon, you will drive to visit the Tashikugan County. It will take you about 5 hours through a breathtaking scenery of high mountain pastures and snow-capped peaks. Stay in Crown Hotel(one of the best hotel)
Day20 Tashikurgan---Karakuri lake-Kashgar-Urumqi (BL)
You could take an easy hiking visit the ruins of the stone city which is in the back of Tashkurgan County. Drive to Kashgar, on the way visit Lake Karakuri. At the base of Muztagh Ata (7,545 m/24,754 ft), sits Lake Karakuri (3,770 m/12,369 ft), a majestic blue glacial lake that is fed by the mammoth, century-old glaciers above it. Then back to Kashigar for the evening flight to Urumqi. Stay in a 4-star hotel.
Day21 Urumqi/home (by air, BL)
Visit the Heavenly Mountain, Heavenly Pool. Transfer to the airport for the flight back to your home, the end of the tour.
B- breakfast, L- lunch, D- dinner.
Tour Cost: Currency Converter
| ||2-3 person||4-6 person||over 7 person||Single supplement|
(The cost for the child of 2-12 year old is based on 15 % discount of the adult's tour cost.Any baby less than 2 year old is free of any charges. If it turns out there is cost involved, we reserved to collect the cost.)
Note: The airfare of Kashgar/Urumqi is based on 50% discount. We will refund you the different if we get better discount. Meanwhile we reserve the right the get the extra from tourists if there is no discount.
The tour cost includes:
- Good tourist van or 4WD vehicle as mentioned in the itinerary;
- Meals daily as listed in the itinerary, picnic lunches in remote area if required(B-breakfast, L-lunch, D-dinner);
- Service of English guide and experienced driver;
- Scenic spots admission fee; Nature Reserve Protection fee and/ or camping permit fee (inside nature reserve) if required
- Accommodation: double-occupancy in 4 star hotel in big city, and the best hotel in small cities or counties, clean guest house/hostel/or home-stay in villages as clarified in the itinerary; camping in non-residential area as mentioned in the itinerary, camping gear like tent, sleeping mat, and cooking equipment when required;
- All the Foreigner's Travel Permit to Tibet and the remote area/border area if needed;
- A truck for carrying food and all supporting equipments when necessary.(Normally it is for a group over 6 person driving for more than 5 days into non-residential area,)
- Camel/yak/porter to carry your luggage if trekking and camping for more than 2 days in the desert or non-residential area when required in the itinerary; for a group more than 6 persons we will provide outdoor cooking equipment and a cook to prepare meals;
- All domestic flights/trains/local airport taxes if there is in the itinerary;
The tour cost does not include:
- Meals in your free time or on the train/plane, Personal travel insurance, sleeping bag when camping, tips to tour guide and driver, international flights and related airport taxes, excess baggage charged by Airlines; The medicine for the sickness or accident while on the way, single supplement cost for those who wants to accommodate on a single basis, supplementary trips and services not mentioned, visa costs, any expenses on personal nature not listed above, the extra cost due to the unforeseen events;
- As the exchange rate of CNY to USD is subject to Change, the final price will be calculated according to the Chinese currency CNY. The price in USD dollar is just for your reference.
- We are ready to reserve the e-air ticket from another city to the starting city or from the ending city back to your preferred city if needed.
- The prices do not apply to National Holidays (e.g. Chinese National Day Sep. 30th -Oct.8th , Or other Special Festival time).
- We reserve the right to alternate the visiting order of the scenic spots. The entrance tickets to scenic spots are based present price. We reserve the right to revise the price without notice if the tickets price rise up.
- The really itinerary and hotel/hostel maybe different from the itinerary. For the enjoyment of your trip a "go with the flow" attitude is necessary. Many factors will influence your trip, such as weather conditions, health, route conditions, etc. Please prepare one-two days more as "cushion" day in case of delays in travel due to unforeseen events.
- Tourist insurance is a must before going. Take out appropriate travel insurance to cover hospital treatment, medical evacuation and any activities, including adventure sports, in which you plan to participate. Please provide us the confirmation of insurance company when sign up.
- The part of the area we will visit has not been well developed like Beijing and Shanghai. While it is good to enjoy the well protected nature view and experience unique primitive customs, we should prepare for that even the four star hotel is not so good and the food is not so delicate and various in the small town.