Nakchu Horse Festival and Trekking around Namtse Lake
Tour Code: CF-W-001
Destination: Lhasa, Dangxiong, Beijing
Good time to visit: Aug
Departure date: on request 2016
Each August, over 10,000 people will get together in Nakchu grassland to celebrate their Horse-racing Festival, when they will run their horses, eat, drink and enjoy themselves during the annual horse festival holiday. Then we will trek around the Largest saltwater lake Namtso-Chukmo, one of the most sacred lake in Tibet. Lake Namtso-Chukmo is also home to migratory birds between April and November; if we are lucky, we may be able to see the rare black-necked crane.
DAY-BY-DAY DETAILED ITINERARY:
Day 1 Lhasa (D)
Arrive Lhasa 3,700 meters(12,139 ft), meet and greet at Gongga A'port in Tibet, then transfer to the Lhasa Hotel(4 star). We will take the afternoon off to acclimatize to the new environment.
Day 2 Lhasa to Nakchu(Naqu) (B/L/D)
Under good road conditions, the 315 km(197 mi) journey from Lhasa to Nakchu should take approximately 6 hours. Though the journey is long and at times ardurous, there is no such thing as an ugly road in Tibet. We will pass beautiful temples and shrines and encounter herdsmen and pilgrims as we traverse deep valleys and drive across rugged passes. We should reach Nakchu Grasslands by dusk, providing us with a wonderful opportunity to watch the sun go down while sipping hot tea and eating tsampa (the staple Tibetan food) with the nomads.
Day 3-4 Nakchu(B/L/D)
Grab your horse or your camera, (we do not suggest both) and enjoy a long day of festivities and races at the annual Horse Racing Festival, which is held in August each year. Rows of tents cover the vast green grassland, hosting more than 10,000 spectators from afar. In addition to the various equine events, such as shooting on horseback and cross-country racing, the festival also provides an opportunity to watch regional folk dances. In the evening we will gather around the campfire for more singing and dancing.
Day 5 Nakchu to Dangxiong to Lake Namtso-Chukmo(B/L/D)
After breakfast, we will leave the racecourse and drive south for 6 hours to arrive at the Lake Namtso-Chukmo in Zhaxi Peninsula. The lake basin, located at an altitude of 4,718 m(15,479 ft), can be cold in the evening but our cozy sleeping bags and campfire should keep us warm and comfortable all night long.
Day 6 Lake Namtso-Chukmo to Lhasa(B/L/D)
We will get up early to explore the peninsula and its bird sanctuary, where we may get a glimpse of the rare black-necked crane. There are many caves to explore, including those along a 100-meter mani stone wall. We will return to Lhasa in the late evening.
Day 7 Lhasa(B)
After breakfast, transfer to the airport .
B=breakfast, L=lunch, D=Dinner
Tour Cost: Currency Converter
| ||2-3 person||4-5 person||6-9 person||Over 10 person||Single Supplement|
(The cost for the child of 2-12 year old is based on 15 % discount of the adult's tour cost.Any baby less than 2 year old is free of any charges. If it turns out there is cost involved, we reserved to collect the cost.)
The tour cost includes:
- Land transfer service, meals daily as listed in the itinerary(B-breakfast， L-lunch, D-dinner), service of English-speaking guide, experienced driver, scenic spots admission fee, twin share room in 4-star hotel in big city, the best hotel in small cities or counties, clean carefully-chosen guest house/hostel/or home-stay in village or old town; all domestic flights or trains and local airport taxes if there is in the itinerary.
The tour cost Does not include:
- meals in your free time and on the train/plane, personal travel insurance (very important); transfer/guide/entrance tickets in your free time, extra luggage truck, international flights and related airport taxes, any tips (hotels, restaurants, guide, driver, etc.), photography charges at monasteries/palaces/sites if required, supplementary trips and services not mentioned, supplement cost for those who wants to accommodate on a single basis, any expenses on personal nature not listed above, the extra cost due to the unforeseen events;
- As the exchange rate of CNY to USD is subject to Change, the final price will be calculated according to the Chinese currency CNY. The price in USD dollar is just for your reference.
- We are ready to reserve the e-air ticket from another city to the starting city or from the ending city back to your preferred city if needed.
- Before you pay deposit to book the tour, we haven’t made any reservation yet. The train, flight tickets and the hotel may different from the itinerary listed.
- The visiting order of the scenic spots in the itinerary may change according to the traffic condition and other unforeseen things.
- Tourist insurance is a must before going, please provide us the confirmation of insurance company when sign up.
- The prices do not apply to National Holidays (e.g. Chinese National Day Sep. 30th -Oct.8th , Or other Special Festival time).