Birding in Sichuan
Chengdu, Mt. Wangwushan, Mt. Emei, Mugecuo
Tour Code: BR-S-005
Good time to visit: from Jul to Oct
Departure date: on request 2016
The province of Sichuan is renowned amongst the world’s naturalists as one of the earth’s most outstanding wild places, with Giant Pandas, a superb variety of birds including many endemic species, and an extraordinarily diverse flora all concentrated in an area of scenic splendor.
A total of about 1,300 bird species have been recorded in China, and over 600 of theses have been recorded in Sichuan. There is also a high number of bird species at least 60 unique to China, 25 of theses species are more or less confined to Sichuan. It is theses rare birds, particularly the gorgeous pheasants, as well as many more widespread species, which the World’s birdwatchers are literally queuing up to look for.
Many of the World’s more beautiful flowers can also be seen in Suchuan, especially rhododendrons, Viburnums, roses, primulas, anemones, gentians, arisamas and orchids. The forests, which include subtropical lowland, broadleaf evergreen and temperate zones, are contained of an extraordinary Varity of tree species. Flower-filled alpine meadows below snow-capped peaks complete what is a botanist’s dream.
The journey will take us to a heaven for ecotourists: Chinas largest National Primeval Forest Park at Mt.Wawushan (2,830m), Buddhist temples and superb primary forest at Mt.Emeishan (3,099m), the magnificent highland lake at Mugecuo (3,700m). We will probably see about 300 species of bird, including 20 endemic to China, and numerous flowering plants, including over 12 species of rhododendron.
DAY-BY-DAY DETAILED ITINERARY:
Day 01: Arrive in Chengdu. (LD)
Be met at the airport, Transfer to hotel. Enjoy a wonderful performance of 'Face changing 'and 'Flame Spitting -Out' of Sichuan Opera.
Day 02: Chengdu to Wawushan (BLD)
Chengdu, provincial capital, from where we drive southwest to Mt. Wawushan
Day 03 – 04: Mt. Wawushan (BLD)
Explore the largest National Primeval Forest Park in China at Mt. Wawushan (2830m). 3500 species of plant have been recorded.
Day 05: Wawushan to Emeishan (BLD)
Further south to Mt. Emeishan, a spectacular mountain raising from the plain to over 3000 meters where Buddhist temples are found in the mist of superb primary forest. The stip slopes of Emeishan support evergreen, temperate and silver fir forest, bamboo thickets and over a dozen species of rhododendron, habits which combine to form the best mountain birdwatching site in the country.
Day 06 – 09: Emeishan (BLD)
Explore Mt. Emeishan. Over 280 species have been recorded including two species which are virtually endemic to this one mountain; the Grey-faced Liuocihla and the Grey-hooded Parrotbill, as well as two superb pheasants; Lady Amherst’s Pheasant and Temminck’s Tragopan.
Day 10: Emeishan to Shimian (BLD)
Heading southwest to Shimian.
Day 11: Shimian to Mugecuo (BLD)
Full day drive northwards to Mugecuo, a beautiful high-altitude Lake, surrounded by a wide variety of habitats, including 30 smaller lakes, forests, grasslands, rhododendron mountain and alpine meadows.
Day 12 – 13 : Mugecuo (BLD)
Explore different habitats and the great diversity of plant and animal life that Mugecuo supports.
Day 14: Mugecuo to Kangding (BLD)
Drive eastwards, crossing the Dadu river to Kangding, historic border town and gateway to Tibet.
Day 15: Kangding to Chengdu (BLD)
Drive back to Chengdu. Visit to Panda Breeding Center if time permits.
Day 16: Chengdu/Next Destination (BL)
Transfer to airport for flight to next destination, Service Ends.
B-breakfast, L-lunch, D-dinner
Tour Cost: Currency Converter
| ||4-5 person||6-9 person||Over 10 person||Single Supplement|
|Tour Cost||On request||On request||On request||On request|
(The cost for the child of 2-12 year old is based on 15 % discount of the adult's tour cost.Any baby less than 2 year old is free of any charges. If it turns out there is cost involved, we reserved to collect the cost.)
The tour cost includes:
- Land transfer service,
- Meals daily as listed in the itinerary(including several picnic lunches when birding, B-breakfast, L-lunch, D-dinner); ,
- Service of English-speaking guide, experienced driver,
- Scenic spots admission fee, Nature Reserve Protection fee and camping permit fee (inside nature reserve) if required,
- All the Foreigner's Travel Permit to Tibet and the remote area/border area if needed;
- Double-occupancy in 4 star hotel in big city, and the best hotel in small cities or counties, clean guest house/hostel/or home-stay in villages as clarified in the itinerary; camping in non-residential area as mentioned in the itinerary, camping gear like tent, sleeping mattress when required;
- All domestic flights(economy class)/trains/local airport taxes if there is in the itinerary.
The tour cost does not include:
- Birding equipment(binoculars, bird Spotting Scopes tripod, camera, etc ), meals in your free time or on the train/plane, personal travel insurance, sleeping bag when camping, tips to tour guide and driver, international flights and related airport taxes, excess baggage charged by Airlines; The medicine for the sickness or accident while on the way, single supplement cost for those who wants to accommodate on a single basis, supplementary trips and services not mentioned, visa costs, any expenses on personal nature not listed above, the extra cost due to the unforeseen events;
- As the exchange rate of CNY to USD is subject to Change, the final price will be calculated according to the Chinese currency CNY. The price in USD dollar is just for your reference.
- We reserve to right to choose the train according to the seat. We couldn’t promise the soft or hard sleeper, it could be either of them.
- The prices do not apply to National Holidays (e.g. Chinese National Day Sep. 30th -Oct.8th , or other Special Festival time).
- For less than 10-day tour, reservation should be made at least one week before departure time. For more than 10-day tour reservation should be made at least one month before departure time.
- We reserve the right to alternate the visiting order of the scenic spots. The entrance tickets to scenic spots are based present price. We reserve the right to revise the price without notice if the tickets price rise up.
- For more than 10-day birding tour, this is a tentative itinerary, the really itinerary and hotel/hostel maybe different from the itinerary. For the enjoyment of your trip a "go with the flow" attitude is necessary. Many factors will influence your trip, such as weather conditions, health, route conditions, etc. Please prepare one-two days more as "cushion" day in case of delays in travel due to unforeseen events.
- Tourist insurance is a must before going. Take out appropriate travel insurance to cover hospital treatment, medical evacuation and any activities, including adventure sports, in which you plan to participate. Please provide us the confirmation of insurance company when sign up.
- The part of the area we will visit has not been well developed like Beijing and Shanghai. While it is good to enjoy the well protected nature view and experience unique primitive customs, we should prepare for that even the four star hotel is not so good and the food is not so delicate and various in the small town.
Tips for birding:
- Essential Birding equipment: Bird Watching Binoculars, bird Spotting Scopes for getting a good view of distant birds, a good tripod for bird watching, etc.
- Photography: We'll spend our time trying to see birds, but the keen photographer will find plenty of opportunity to make use of the often excellent light.
- Necessary: Enough films and batteries, Sun-cream with the protection index of 40-60, sunglasses with a sun protection factor of 15, the lip creams and balms with SPF rating, towel, toothpaste, electric torch, snacks. Cloth that you bring must be warm enough and can be removed easily enough according to the temperature when birding. including Jacket, hat, Mittens or gloves, cotton underwear, Socks, Long-sleeve Shirts, T-shirts and Pants comfortable shoes, rain gear (long rain coat is better)．
Two of us enjoyed a truly wonderful tour of Guilin, Yangshuo and surrounding countryside. Many thanks to CnAdventures for providing very helpful assistance and our guide, David, who was really terrific, both accommodating and informative. The trip provided a great deal of variety as we hiked, biked and rafted through some of the most gorgeous countryside I have ever seen. An unplanned side trip to the Dragon's Backbone Rice Terrace was a most worthwhile addition to our itinerary. Another nice aspect to the trip was the opportunity to sample some excellent local food along the way--stuffed snails and sticky rice cooked in bamboo were a couple of highlights along with rice wine and osmanthus tea.