4WD Adventure Tour: Mt. Kailashi Trekking, and the Northern Non-resident Area
Lhasa, Lake Manasoravar, Mt. Kailash(Circuit Trek), Guge Kingdom Ruins, Namutse Lake, Dangxiong
Tour Code: 4WD-W-013
Destination: Lhasa, Shigatze, Ali Area
Good time to visit: from Jun to Aug
Departure date: on request 2016
Mount Kailash is perhaps the most sacred of Holy Mountains in Tibet. Together with the two lakes of Mansarovar and Rakas Tal the region is one of the few truly natural wonders of the World. Three of the Orient's greatest rivers; The Yaluzhangbu, The Mekom, and The Indus, all take their source within a hundred kilometres of this 'snow capped jewel' which has attracted Hindus, Buddhists, Jains and Bonpos from the four corners of Asia for centuries. The journey there entails a long ride over Tibet's great western plateau, through a region inhabited by wild animals and only the occasional nomad.
This tour also include the fascinating sites of Tsada in the ancient kingdom of Guge. These 11th Century city-states offer one an extraordinary journey back in time. It is noted for its fine frescoes which the kings of Guge commissioned the finest artists in Kashmir to paint, while both sites promise absolutely breathtaking scenery as we cross the Lhadak Range into the Sandstone canyon of the Sutlej River
DAY-BY-DAY DETAILED ITINERARY:
Day1 Lhasa (by air)
Arrive in Lhasa, meet and greet at the airport, transfer to the hotel, the afternoon is left open. You could have a good rest to get to use to the high altitute, welcome dinner, stay in Dungu hotel(3 star);
Day 2 Lhasa (BL)
Full day tour in Lhasa: visit Potala Palace, Jokang Temple , Bakhor Bazaar, stay in the same ;
Day 3 Lhasa (BL)
Visit Drepung Monastery, Sera Monastery, and Norbulingka, a brief meeting for the cominng adventure, stay in the same;
Day 4 Lhasa/Gyantse/Shigatse(about 380km,altitude 3836m, BL)
Pass Yamdrok Lake and Karola Glacier and Baiju Monastery(or Pelkochode), drive to Shigatse, prepare food and the other necessity for the following trip, stay in Shigatse Hotel(3 star) or the similar, don’t forget have a shower today;
Day 5 Shigatse/Sakya/Lhatse( by jeep 6-7 hrs, 200km, altitude about 4200m, BLD)
Visit Sakya Monastery on the way, overnight in tent out of Lhatse town;
Day 6 Saga-Zhongba-Payang(by jeep, 4480 m, 255 kms, BLD)
Take the ferry cross the Yalazangpo River arriving in Saga. From Saga it is 145 km to Zhongba. The road is good & the trip can be completed in 4-5 hrs. There is also a small monastery at the western end of town on a hill.From Zhongba onwards the southern road deteriorates. There is also danger of vehicles getting stuck. But this section of the road has panoramic views of mountains on either side of the road, stay in tent;
Day 7 Paryang-Lake Manasoravar( by jeep, 4560 m, 260kms, BLD)
From Paryang to Lake Mansorovar is a long drive of 10 hrs or more. There will be several river crossings & we drive past Mayum la pass (4600 M). The scenery is stunningly beautiful with panoramic views of the Himalayas, Chiu Gompa at Lake Manasorovar. Chiu Gompa is at a fabulous location a top a hill overlooking Lake Manasorovar, another high light of today is the visit the Ghost Lake, which is only 8km away from the Lake Manasorovar but while Lake Mana. Is always sunny and with fresh water, it is clouded and salty. That the difference of Holy and ghost. You could have a breathtaking view of the Namunali Peak(7694m) in the evening.
Day 8 Lake Manasoravar/Darchen (by jeep, 60 km, 4560 m, BLD)
About 60 kms north of Lake Manasorovar is Darchen, the main gateway & the village. Here we organize yaks or ponies for the Kailash circuit trek, stay in tent or overnight in Gangdisi Hotel(Kailashi Hotel)
Day 9 Darchen-Kailash(Circuit Trek - DIRAPHUK, 6 hrs, BLD)
This Kailash circuit covers 53 kms & can be done in 3 days. We head west in clockwise direction & after a few kilometers the trail climbs up to a cairn at 4730 m from where the southern face of Mt. Kailash comes to view. En route visit Tarboche where annual flagpole raising ceremony takes place during Saga Dawa, stay in tent;
Day 10 Diraphuk – Zutrulphuk(4790m, 6 hrs, BLD)
Toady we cross Drolma la pass (5630 M) & Gauri Kund Lake (5608 m) where Hindus worship & immerse themselves in the icy waters of the lake. Stay in the tent
Day 11 Zutrulphuk-Darchen(2-3 hrs, BLD)
The final end of the parikrama is an easy 2-3 hrs walk down to where the river emerges on to the Barga plain. We complete the 3 day circuit trek of Mt. Kailash.We will drive north further and camping.
Day 12 Darchen-Barga-Tsada(about 310 km on the way, BLD)
It is a hard driving day on the road, with Gobi and broken road most of the time but in the evening of the day the Mud Forest in the sunset would pay back the hardship of the day. It is about 20km along the way; stay in guest house;
Day 13 Tsada-Guge Kingdom Ruins-Tsada(BLD)
The high light of today is the Toling Temple and Guge Kingdom Ruins; stay in the same;
Day 14 Tsada-Siquanhe Town(about 255km, altitude 4280m, BLD)
Siquan he was named Garer by Tibetan. It is the center of far west of Tibet. Here we will stay in good hotel and can take hot water shower. Good dinner as well.
Day 15 Siquanhe-Bangong Lake-Siquanhe(BLD)
You’ll see the rock painting on the road and Bird Island in the Bangong Lake, one hr boating to the island and thounds of birds most of them are gulls and goose. Drive back to Shiquanhe after a fish lunch beside the lake. We may stay in Ritu county based on the road condition.
Day 16 Siquanhe-Yanhu (BLD)
Drive east to Yanhu, this is a small village but important. Long drive today. Grass land is the main scenery on the route. Camping.
Day 17 Yanhu-Dongcuo (BLD)
We have entry in the north grass land named Qiangtang of Tibet. We call no-man’s-land as well. Camping
Day 18 Dongcuo-Nima (BLD)
Enjoy the running with wild animals especially wild ass everywhere. Distance of today is far but the road is pretty good, flat and straight. Scenery along the road is excellent. We can camping anywhere but with water.
Day 19-22 Nima (BLD)
We are driving along the area without residents. The road is not bad, with lakes and mountains named or not passing by. If we are lucky enough, we could meet the Tibetan nomadic family and take picture of Tibetan antelope,yellow sheep, wild donkey ect. From afar; Camping;
Day 23Bange-Namu Tse Lake (BLD)
Namu Tse is one of the most famous holy lakes in Tibet. The biggest lake of Tibet. Stay in Namtro Guesthouse and walk around and enjoy the sun rising.
Day24 Namu Tse-Dangxiong-Lhasa (BL)
Today we are quite close the modern civilization, but nomads on the way to Lhasa. Stay in Lhasa hotel;
Day 25 Lhasa(B)
Transfer to the airport for the flight back. The end of the tour.
B-breakfast, L-lunch, D-dinner
Tour Cost: Currency Converter
| ||2-5 person||6-9 person||Over 10 person||Single Supplement|
(The cost for the child of 2-12 year old is based on 15 % discount of the adult's tour cost.Any baby less than 2 year old is free of any charges. If it turns out there is cost involved, we reserved to collect the cost.)
The tour cost includes:
- Good tourist van or 4WD vehicle as mentioned in the itinerary;
- Meals daily as listed in the itinerary, picnic lunches in remote area if required(B-breakfast, L-lunch, D-dinner);
- Service of English guide and experienced driver;
- Scenic spots admission fee; Nature Reserve Protection fee and/ or camping permit fee (inside nature reserve) if required
- Accommodation: double-occupancy in 4 star hotel in big city, and the best hotel in small cities or counties, clean guest house/hostel/or home-stay in villages as clarified in the itinerary; camping in non-residential area as mentioned in the itinerary, camping gear like tent, sleeping mat, and cooking equipment when required;
- All the Foreigner's Travel Permit to Tibet and the remote area/border area if needed;
- A truck for carrying food and all supporting equipments when necessary.(Normally it is for a group over 6 person driving for more than 5 days into non-residential area,)
- Camel/yak/porter to carry your luggage if trekking and camping for more than 2 days in the desert or non-residential area when required in the itinerary; for a group more than 6 persons we will provide outdoor cooking equipment and a cook to prepare meals;
- All domestic flights/trains/local airport taxes if there is in the itinerary;
The tour cost does not include:
- Meals in your free time or on the train/plane, Personal travel insurance, sleeping bag when camping, tips to tour guide and driver, international flights and related airport taxes, excess baggage charged by Airlines; The medicine for the sickness or accident while on the way, single supplement cost for those who wants to accommodate on a single basis, supplementary trips and services not mentioned, visa costs, any expenses on personal nature not listed above, the extra cost due to the unforeseen events;
- As the exchange rate of CNY to USD is subject to Change, the final price will be calculated according to the Chinese currency CNY. The price in USD dollar is just for your reference.
- We are ready to reserve the e-air ticket from another city to the starting city or from the ending city back to your preferred city if needed.
- The prices do not apply to National Holidays (e.g. Chinese National Day Sep. 30th -Oct.8th , Or other Special Festival time).
- We reserve the right to alternate the visiting order of the scenic spots. The entrance tickets to scenic spots are based present price. We reserve the right to revise the price without notice if the tickets price rise up.
- The really itinerary and hotel/hostel maybe different from the itinerary. For the enjoyment of your trip a "go with the flow" attitude is necessary. Many factors will influence your trip, such as weather conditions, health, route conditions, etc. Please prepare one-two days more as "cushion" day in case of delays in travel due to unforeseen events.
- Tourist insurance is a must before going. Take out appropriate travel insurance to cover hospital treatment, medical evacuation and any activities, including adventure sports, in which you plan to participate. Please provide us the confirmation of insurance company when sign up.
- The part of the area we will visit has not been well developed like Beijing and Shanghai. While it is good to enjoy the well protected nature view and experience unique primitive customs, we should prepare for that even the four star hotel is not so good and the food is not so delicate and various in the small town.