4WD drive to the Deep of Tibet: Mt. Kailash Trekking and Guge Kingdom Ruin
Lhasa, Lhatse, Saga, Lake Manasoravar, Mt. Kailash(Circuit Trek), Zhada, then back, Lhatse, Saga, Payang, Lake
Tour Code: 4WD-W-012
Destination: Lhasa, Shigatze, Ali Area
Good time to visit: Jun, from Aug to Sep
Departure date: on request 2016
ount Kailash is perhaps the most sacred of Holy Mountains in Tibet. Together with the two lakes of Mansorovar and Rakas Tal, the region is one of the few truly natural wonders of the World. Three of the Orient's greatest rivers; The Yaluzhangbu, The Mekom, and The Indus, all take their source within a hundred kilometres of this 'snow capped jewel' which has attracted Hindus, Buddhists, Jains and Bonpos from the four corners of Asia for centuries. This tour also include the fascinating sites of Tsada in the ancient kingdom of Guge. These 11th Century city-states offer one an extraordinary journey back in time. It is noted for its fine frescoes which the kings of Guge commissioned the finest artists in Kashmir to paint, while both sites promise absolutely breathtaking scenery as we cross the Lhadak Range into the Sandstone canyon of the Sutlej River.
DAY-BY-DAY DETIALED ITINERARY:
Day1 Lhasa (by air)
Arrive in Lhasa, meet and greet at the airport, transfer to the hotel, the afternoon is left open. You could have a good rest to get to use to the high altitute, welcome dinner, stay in Lhasa Hotel(4 star);
Day 2 Lhasa (BL)
Full day tour in Lhasa: visit Potala Palace, Jokang Temple , Bakhor Bazaar, stay in the same ;
Day 3 Lhasa(BL)
Visit Drepung Monastery, Sera Monastery, and Norbulingka, a brief meeting for the cominng adventure, stay in the same;
Day 4 Lhasa/Gyantse/Shigatse(about 380km,altitude 3836m, BL)
Pass Yamdrok Lake and Karola Glacier and Baiju Monastery(or Pelkochode), drive to Shigatse, prepare food and the other necessity for the following trip, stay in Shigatse Hotel(3 star) or the similar, don’t forget have a shower today;
Day 5 Shigatse/Lhatse (BLD)
Visit Sakya Monastery on the way, and further on to Lhatse, camping at the outskirt of the town.
Day 6 Lhatse /Saga (BLD)
From Lhatse onwards, we will be driving on rugged roads. Saga, meaning 'Happy Land', is situated along the Tsangpo River in a region criscrossed by the upper Brahmaputra and its tributaries. The land becomes rugged, the air thinner and the sky endless and impossibly blue.
Day 7 Saga/Zhongba/Payang(by jeep, 4480 m, 255 kms, BLD)
From Saga it is 145 km to Zhongba. The road is good & the trip can be completed in 4-5 hrs. There is also a small monastery at the western end of town on a hill.From Zhongba onwards the southern road deteriorates. There is also danger of vehicles getting stuck. But this section of the road has panoramic views of mountains on either side of the road, stay in tent;
Day 8 Paryang/Lake Manasoravar( by jeep, 4560 m, 260kms, BLD)
From Paryang to Lake Mansorovar is a long drive of 10 hrs or more. There will be several river crossings & we drive past Mayum la pass (4600 M). The scenery is stunningly beautiful with panoramic views of the Himalayas, Chiu Gompa at Lake Manasorovar. Chiu Gompa is at a fabulous location a top a hill overlooking Lake Manasorovar, another high light of today is the visit the Ghost Lake, which is only 8km away from the Lake Manasorovar but while Lake Mana. Is always sunny and with fresh water, it is clouded and salty. That the difference of Holy and ghost. You could have a breathtaking view of the Namunali Peak(7694m) in the evening.
Day 9 Lake/Darchen (by jeep, 60 km, 4560 m, BLD)
About 60 kms north of Lake Manasorovar is Darchen, the main gateway & the village. Here we organize yaks or ponies for the Kailash circuit trek, stay in tent or overnight in Gangdisi Hotel(Kailashi Hotel)
Day 10 Darchen/Kailash(Circuit Trek - DIRAPHUK, 6 hrs, BLD)
This Kailash circuit covers 53 kms & can be done in 3 days. We head west in clockwise direction & after a few kilometers the trail climbs up to a cairn at 4730 m from where the southern face of Mt. Kailash comes to view. En route visit Tarboche where annual flagpole raising ceremony takes place during Saga Dawa, stay in tent;
Day 11 Diraphuk /Zutrulphuk(4790m, 6 hrs, BLD)
Toady we cross Drolma la pass (5630 M) & Gauri Kund Lake (5608 m) where Hindus worship & immerse themselves in the icy waters of the lake. Stay in the tent
Day 12 Zutrulphuk/Darchen(2-3 hrs, BLD)
The final end of the parikrama is an easy 2-3 hrs walk down to where the river emerges on to the Barga plain. We complete the 3 day circuit trek of Mt. Kailash.We will drive north further and camping.
Day 13-14 Guge Kingdom in Tsada(Zhada)( BLD)
We will spend a day driving to Zhanda, a small town situated deep in a valley. The drive itself offers a breathtaking view of sand-rock formations shaping the deep valley. We will spend another day in the area to visit the ruins of the Guge Kingdom, which ruled western Tibet 300 years ago.
Day 15 Tsada/Darchen(BLD)
Day 16 Darchen/Payang(about 310 km on the way, BLD)
It is a hard driving day on the road, with Gobi and broken road most of the time,camping somewhere when sunset
Day 17 Payang/Saga(about 260km drving, BLD)
Camping the same place 20km before Saga.
Day 18 Saga/Sangsang(300km, BLD)
From Saga we dive face to east and along the Yalongzangp River.Camping.
Day 19 Sangsang/Latse/Shigatse (about 270km, BL)
Today will get back to the second biggest city of Tibet,and can take a hot shower after 2 weeks and a big dinner as well.Overnight in Shigatse Hotel(3*)
Day 20 Shigatse/Lhasa(280km, BL)
After a short visit of Tashilumpio Monastery in this town, we will carry on the way back to Lhasa. Road is quite good. Stay in Lhasa Hotel
Day 21 Lhasa(B)
Transfer to the airport for the flight back. The end of the tour.
B-breakfast, L-lunch, D-dinner
Tour Cost: Currency Converter
| ||2-5 person||6-9 person||Over 10 person||Single Supplement|
(The cost for the child of 2-12 year old is based on 15 % discount of the adult's tour cost.Any baby less than 2 year old is free of any charges. If it turns out there is cost involved, we reserved to collect the cost.)
The tour cost includes:
- Good tourist van or 4WD vehicle as mentioned in the itinerary;
- Meals daily as listed in the itinerary, picnic lunches in remote area if required(B-breakfast, L-lunch, D-dinner);
- Service of English guide and experienced driver;
- Scenic spots admission fee; Nature Reserve Protection fee and/ or camping permit fee (inside nature reserve) if required
- Accommodation: double-occupancy in 4 star hotel in big city, and the best hotel in small cities or counties, clean guest house/hostel/or home-stay in villages as clarified in the itinerary; camping in non-residential area as mentioned in the itinerary, camping gear like tent, sleeping mat, and cooking equipment when required;
- All the Foreigner's Travel Permit to Tibet and the remote area/border area if needed;
- A truck for carrying food and all supporting equipments when necessary.(Normally it is for a group over 6 person driving for more than 5 days into non-residential area,)
- Camel/yak/porter to carry your luggage if trekking and camping for more than 2 days in the desert or non-residential area when required in the itinerary; for a group more than 6 persons we will provide outdoor cooking equipment and a cook to prepare meals;
- All domestic flights/trains/local airport taxes if there is in the itinerary;
The tour cost does not include:
- Meals in your free time or on the train/plane, Personal travel insurance, sleeping bag when camping, tips to tour guide and driver, international flights and related airport taxes, excess baggage charged by Airlines; The medicine for the sickness or accident while on the way, single supplement cost for those who wants to accommodate on a single basis, supplementary trips and services not mentioned, visa costs, any expenses on personal nature not listed above, the extra cost due to the unforeseen events;
- As the exchange rate of CNY to USD is subject to Change, the final price will be calculated according to the Chinese currency CNY. The price in USD dollar is just for your reference.
- We are ready to reserve the e-air ticket from another city to the starting city or from the ending city back to your preferred city if needed.
- The prices do not apply to National Holidays (e.g. Chinese National Day Sep. 30th -Oct.8th , Or other Special Festival time).
- We reserve the right to alternate the visiting order of the scenic spots. The entrance tickets to scenic spots are based present price. We reserve the right to revise the price without notice if the tickets price rise up.
- The really itinerary and hotel/hostel maybe different from the itinerary. For the enjoyment of your trip a "go with the flow" attitude is necessary. Many factors will influence your trip, such as weather conditions, health, route conditions, etc. Please prepare one-two days more as "cushion" day in case of delays in travel due to unforeseen events.
- Tourist insurance is a must before going. Take out appropriate travel insurance to cover hospital treatment, medical evacuation and any activities, including adventure sports, in which you plan to participate. Please provide us the confirmation of insurance company when sign up.
- The part of the area we will visit has not been well developed like Beijing and Shanghai. While it is good to enjoy the well protected nature view and experience unique primitive customs, we should prepare for that even the four star hotel is not so good and the food is not so delicate and various in the small town.